Ops Engineer Lead
About The Position
ZOOZ is a fast-growing successful Start-Up company that provides a payments platform designed to help merchants improve and optimize their payments activities. We help merchants reduce costs, increase conversions, fight fraud and expand globally.
We are an enterprise payments platform that allows easy connectivity to multiple providers globally while leveraging data to optimize transactions.
If you would like to help change the e-commerce world with cutting-edge technology, join a leading Fintech company, work in a fast-paced up-and-coming young tech company and in a fun environment, ZOOZ is a great place for you.
Our payments platform is a distributed system built on Mesosphere DC/OS, running services and micro-services to deliver a first-class API experience to our Customers.
We program in multiple languages, mainly node.js, Java Scala and Go. In general, we try to pick the language best suitable for the use case. We have embraced containers for this platform from the very beginning, we also have teams working on Mesos frameworks. Cassandra, Kafka and Elastic-search also factor heavily. Our teams are responsible for their projects end-to-end from initial design stages to production using CI/CD automated pipelines.
The Engineering group at ZOOZ brings together Software design, Infrastructure Management/Design and Operations and Engineering. You’ll be a part of a team working across the technical organization comprised of other Engineers, Designers and Product Managers.
Teams challenge and mentor each other with the objective being that you do the best work of your career. You’ll have the opportunity to have a truly global impact on merchants’ commerce platforms, from a developer adding payments to the next big app to global e-commerce platforms.
As an Ops Lead the number one priority is keeping our platform running. With many deployments per day that means focusing on developing our observability systems including log management and event/information processing, instrumenting our containerized applications and management of our systems and services. Day to day you will be working very closely with engineering teams to ensure managing and debugging distributed systems feel effortless and easy through innovative and simple tooling solutions, eloquent dashboards and insight that talented ops engineers should bring. All of this in the name of enabling our developers and wider technology group with the visibility of our mission-critical transaction processing system; never missing a beat. Ideally, you’ll be extremely passionate about making sure no one loses sleep whilst the global online marketplace carries on running 24/7.
Who you are
- Enjoy mentoring and guiding junior and mid-level engineers whilst still being hands-on
- Great at collaborating with Engineering leads to identify and implement optimizations and fixes
- Confident in Linux systems administration. We currently use CoreOS and Ubuntu, but you should be comfortable switching between systems and learning where required
- Willing to be part of a 24x7 on-call rotation
- You know the value of metrics and logs and how to get them to where they are most useful
- Excellent troubleshooting ability. Tracing a fault or error at API level through a potential issue at platform or OS level
- Proven ability to write and understand code. The language is not as important as a strong understanding of the concepts and being able to research where required. Ability to branch into different areas as and when required especially if it is outside your comfort zone
- You should see yourself as an experienced Operations Engineer. That could be 5 years plus of relevant work experience in development, ops, and/or test automation experience. Quantity isn’t everything if you can show a broad base of experience in a shorter time then let’s talk.
- Hands on experience with AWS, specifically but not limited to EC2, VPC, Route53, S3, RDS
- Terraform for managing AWS (positive but not a must) or similar
- Linux administration
- Alerts management, previous experience of using Opsgenie or similar a plus
- Use of Mesosphere DC/OS or Apache Mesos (positive but not a must)
- Experience of being responsible for or involved with PCI audits